PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

1.14.2014

Homemade Fortune Cookies...with a secret message inside! {Chinese New Year Theme}



Today we are sharing the Homemade Fortune Cookies we made, with a fun little twist!

Now, I attempted these cookies last night.  Honestly, after 3 batches...I had a whopping 8 fortune cookies that turned out ;)  They are quite simple to make, but not necessarily easy.  I found a fantastic blog that had beautiful pictures and great step-by-step instructions, so if you want to try these out make sure you stop by The Jew and the Carrot.


I changed the recipe up JUST a bit to use things I had or didn't have on hand.  Here is all that you need:

1/2 C sugar
1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract

That's it!

Now, I'm sure you are supposed to mix the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients and then mix them all together...does anyone do that?!  I never do...there is NO chance I am dirtying another bowl if I don't have too ;)  I bet that is just one of many reasons I am not a wonderful baker!!

Anyways, once I dumped everything in ONE bowl and mixed it up, I prepared my cookie sheet.  The first time I tried parchment paper, and that did not work at all for me.  I had much better luck when I sprayed a cookie sheet really well and put the mixture right on that.  It also took me quite a few tries to get the size right...a 3 inch circle is really what you are going for.  Anything else will taste fine but not look too authentic.


Bake these in the oven at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes.  Mine actually took 8-9, you just need to watch really closely and take them out when they have browned nicely around the edges.
 

To make our fortune cookies a little more fun we put a secret message inside.  After school today we are learning about all of the different Chinese Zodiac signs, and what sign each of my kids are.  I thought it would be fun to put in each cookie a letter that when put with the others will make up the Chinese Zodiac for 2014!  

Ok, so once your cookies are done you need to flip them over with a spatula.  Then place a strip of paper in the middle and fold them in half.  Once you have done that place them over the rim of a cup or jar to give it that awesome fortune cookie shape.  You are going to want to do this pretty quickly to make sure they don't harden before you can shape them.


Once you have them shaped you can put them in a muffin tin to hold their shape until they harden. 


I gotta tell you...these fortune cookies are delicious!!  They are soft and a little chewy (probably because we can never wait long enough to let them harden!;) and have a yummy almond flavor.


Thanks so much for stopping by today, make sure to come back tomorrow to see some fun Zodiac activities for kids!!






12 comments:

Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted

Wow, I never braved making fortune cookies! Very cute idea.

Michelle Paige

You're incredible! Never would I have put so much time into fortune cookies. Once I tried ripping out the fortunes of store bought cookies, and cramming in spy clues, instead. It was a little painful, but it worked with some microwave steaming. The things we do for our kids!

Nichole

What a fun mom! I have always wanted to try to making fortune cookies. Pinned it! Nichole @ Or So She Says

Raag Consultants

apply for fssai central registration
apply for fssai state registration

Raag Consultants

apply fssai registration in faridabad
apply fssai registration in jaipur

Raag Consultants

apply fssai registration in Bengaluru
apply fssai registration in new delhi

Raag Consultants

apply fssai registration in vijaywada
apply fssai registration in dehradun

Raag Consultants

apply fssai registration in Bhubaneswar
apply fssai registration in Jamshedpur

Raag Consultants

apply fssai registration for catering
apply fssai registration for manufacturing

Raag Consultants

apply fssai registration for export
fssai registration fee for restaurant

Raag Consultants

fssai registration fee for supplier
fssai registration fee for transporter

Raag Consultants

fssai registration fee for meat shop
fssai registration fee for bakery