PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

10.04.2011

October Service Project - Welcome to the neigh"BOO"hood!

Well, I am happy to anounce that we actually had another service project last night! Usually when I try to do things like this I have great intentions and not such great results :) Maybe this one will actually stick!
In our neighborhood we have had a bunch of people move in the last few weeks. I thought it would be fun to serve our new neighbors and get to know them a little bit better. First for our lesson we learned all about The Good Samaritan and talked about how important it is to be kind to our neighbors no matter what they look like, where there from, what church they go to or what language they speak. Then we put together a few things to take over to them :)
First of all....the treat! :) We love making these Nutter Butter ghosts...they are super easy and quite tasty too!

They are pretty self-explanatory. Dip em in melted white chocolate and use mini chocolate chips and frosting to make eyes and a mouth. Cute!
Then I stuck them in a jar just because I love jars. But it wasn't quite doing it for me so I spraypainted the lid purple and added a bunch of ribbon,
After we had the treat ready to go we put together a file folder to take to the neighbors. Earlier in the day we had driven around and picked up all sorts of papers they might find helpful. I got a ward directory, papers from the city offices about who to contact for your utilities, library calendar and storytimes, copies of the local newspaper, takeout menus from local restaurants and maps. Then we coverd the file folder with fun Halloween paper, added our yummy treat, and there you have it!
Our very own Welcome to the neigh"BOO"hood gift for all of our great new neighbors!
I was really excited at how this turned out. We have always been the type to keep more to ourselves, but after having some truly great neighbors it has made me want to be a better one myself, and teach my children the same thing.
Thank you so much for stopping by, and please share! What are some family service projects YOU have done..especially with young kids?

7 comments:

Lindsay

LOVE this idea! I swear, you always have the best ideas here. Thanks for inspiring me!

Digital Scrapbooking Made Easy

CUTE idea! If you get a chance, I'd love to have you link up. (http://scrapbookingez.blogspot.com/2011/09/one-stop-thursday-party.html) Thanks for sharing!

Lyndee W.

Love the purple lid! Adds just the right pop!

annies home

what a neighborly idea so very cool come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Q @ JAQS

Lovely :)!

I would love you to share this at my linky party: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/10/jaqs-studio-first-ever-linky-party.html

Sara

This is a great idea! We have new neighbors we haven't met yet and I just told my boys we needed to bake something and take it over. This is perfect! Thanks for sharing :)

Kristen

Since I am the new neighbor, I want to change it for my neighbors. Glad you are in the neigh"boo" hood! Unless you can think of something better!