PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

10.02.2009

I need your help...:)

I've had this idea in the back of my head for several months now, but am ashamed to say I haven't followed up on it. It keeps coming to me again and again that this could really bless our family, but then I get busy and forget :) Well, no more! Only problem is, I need some of your fantastic ideas.

I have decided I would like to have a family service project that Paul, I and the kids do every month. We will use the first family home evening of the month to kick this off, sometimes we will be able to accomplish it that night, other times it will just be a starting point. My problem has been in coming up with service projects that will not only bless the lives of others, but that my children, even as young as they are, can participate actively in. I have thought of a few that would have special meaning for our family (taking things to families that have babies in the NICU, etc) but I need many more! Please leave me comments with your ideas, I am lucky to know so many amazing people that are such great examples to me! Thanks!

5 comments:

Becky

Have you heard of the Ducky Derby? It's over for this year I wanted to do it but I waited too long and missed it. I think it was for Make a wish, or Children s Miracle (can't remember). Anyway, you buy a rubber ducky, they stick your number on it and float it down the lazy river at Seven Peaks. It is having a race with all the other entries. All the proceeds go to Make a Wish and the winning ducks owner wins a donated prize. I think it would be fun for kids to watch, plus you can go swimming after.

Sheri

We have done 2 things - first we were "Secret Service Agents" complete with sunglasses. We delivered stuff to doors and ran away. 2nd was helping keep weeds down in yards that have been foreclosed on. We have one across our street so we weeded their flower bed for FHE one week.
Sorry, that is all I got for you.
Great idea though.

Gayle

we have done the 12 days of Christmas to a family in need at Christmas time we also every year get an angel off the angel tree and buy Christmas for the angel, my kids have really grown to love that one.Maybe decorate a tree for the festival of trees I don't know what that entails.I know these are holiday ones ones. But you could always do something in a retirement home I used to do hair at the one by the temple and they love to have visitors.Sorry if this is to long hope it helps.

The Poulsen Family

When Crew was in the NICU at Primary's they had a few girls that would make really cute "name tags" for the babies incubators or cribs. They just took a 8.5x11 piece of cute paper and decorated it cute with the babies first name on it and then the parents or nurses can tape them to the end of their bed so that you can see it when you walk in the room. They made them to match with the season, like when Crew was there they made him a really cute haloween one with pumpkins on it. Just an idea, but something that as a parent I really appreciated cause it was just thoughtful and cute.

Anonymous

ryan and i were just talking about this the other day. my mom is ultimate service person. Growing up we were always doing stuff for other people. even if it was just raking leaves, making homemade bread for someone, shoveling snow or visiting older people. we used to go to their family home evening and jeremy and i would get all dressed up and sing songs for them. i was only about 5 or 6, but i remember it vividly. i even ran into an older lady the other day that said she remembered us coming over. my mom is wonderful!